Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Chapter 54

“So, let me get this straight. Dee implied I had something to do with his problem? That’s what I see, between the lines, Lewis. And if you weren’t such a feminine man, you’d’ve set him straight for me.”
“He held a machine gun to my face!” Lewis yelled, in exasperation. “He put a lit cigarette in my ear and sprayed me with his fucking bag!” Lewis was still being forced by Bill to stand behind a chair, rather than sit.
“He made a man out of you.” Bill’d had a few drinks and was speaking in a booming voice. “He showed me what a wimp I have working for me. He did me a favour.”
“Can I sit down now, please?”
“Lewis, I’d like you to remain fucking standing, if you don’t mind. I want to be sure your paying attention.”
“-Don’t be such a wanker,” ‘HIV’ Aimee muttered. She stood up and looked like she was getting ready to leave.
“Where are you going?”
“We’re done, aren’t we, Bill?”
“I want you to get Tin-Tin to take you sometime this afternoon to the ops apartment. And I want you to stick around. I foresee needing you. Might not be here in Nova Scotia, but we’ll be running ops from here. It’s an important thing, this coke missing. Big money for you, I sense.”
“Sounds good. I’m willing, you know that.”
“You’re always willing.”
‘HIV’Aimee kissed Bill gently on the cheek and then headed out toward the back alley exit. Lewis said a quick hello to her as she passed him by.
“Whatcha doin’?”
“A thirteen-year-old,” she said, and winked at him before closing the steel door behind her.

No comments: